Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Steps on How I Deep Clean my Makeup Brushes (Photo Heavy)

Hi there!

We are all aware how important it is to clean our makeup brushes. It is a must for all the makeup junkies because dirty makeup brushes could cause breakouts. 



I know there are tons of videos and blog entries out there but I want to share my own version on how I clean my makeup brushes. I hope this could help. :)

There are two ways on how I clean my makeup brushes. I spot clean my babies using my MAC Brush Cleaner every after use. Then, I deep clean them using extra virgin olive oil and baby shampoo once a week or once every two weeks depending on my work schedule. Today, I will be showing you the latter. 

Brush Cleaning Paraphernalia

Click Read More to find out how I clean my makeup brushes.

Things you will need:


Make-up Brushes


Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Baby Shampoo



Microfiber Wipes

Mixing Container

Large Tray
Shelf Liner

* Please note that you will also be needing scissors and 3 extra towels.

Follow this Steps:

Step 1:


Measure and cut the Shelf Liner just enough for the bottom layer of the tray.



Step 2:

Place a Microfiber Wipe at the bottom of the tray. This will absorb excess water from the makeup brushes.




Step 3:

Place the Shelf Liner over the Microfiber Wipe. This is just an extra protection from dirt and dust that may be trapped from the tray.




Step 4:

Place another Microfiber Wipe over the Shelf Liner. This will be the main absorbent of the excess water from the makeup brushes.




Step 5: 


Roll the two extra towels and place it at the upper corner of the tray, under the Microfiber Wipe and Shelf Liner.




This is how your tray should look like. 

Step 6:

Pour an ample amount of Baby Shampoo into the Mixing Container.




Step 7:


Mix a little amount of Extra Virgin Olive Oil with the Baby Shampoo (Please pardon our messy sink.)





Your mixture should looks like this.
Step 8:

Dampen and dip the bristles of the makeup brush into the mixture.




Step 9:

Rub the brush bristles gently on your hand. 




Step 10:

Rinse thoroughly. As much as possible, avoid water getting into the handle and ferrule. (Do Steps 8-10 until water runs clear.)




Step 11:

Squeeze out excess water by using a towel.




Step 12:

Lay the brushes flat on a random tray for a moment. (Do Steps 8-12 for all of your makeup brushes.)






Step 13:

Place all the clean makeup brushes on the tray you set up a while ago. Notice that the brushes are in a slanting position so that water will not stay in the ferrule.



Step 14:

Lastly, cover your makeup brushes by placing the Shelf Liner over them. This would be their main protection from dust and bacteria while you let them dry.



Cleaning our makeup brushes requires a lot of time especially if you have tons of brushes but cleaning it regularly is a must and we will benefit from it. This is one of the ways on how we can take care of our skin so  we should really exert an effort for our makeup brushes. 

I hope this entry helps.Have a nice day ahead.


Live like you're dying.


Check out my new blog site, I reposted this entry: Makeup Brushes Cleaning Tips.


Lots of Love,



2 comments:

  1. i also have problems washing my brushed.... thanks for this post! :))

    btw, i'm a new follower. saw your page at BDj's fanpage. I'm also a bella too. :))

    i also maintain a blog of my own at http://rzzzp.blogspot.com . Please do check it out if you have the time.

    looking forward for more posts!

    Riza xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by, Riza. I hope this could help you. :)

    I hope to see you in the next BDJ events.

    I will definitely check your blog. .^_^.

    ReplyDelete